Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Second Attempt

Seeing as the first attempt to publish my interaction blog failed I will try again.

I met a student named Gaedan during my 7th grade class who happened to provide insight so valuable to the influence family has on personal fitness. We were talking about why he, along with over half of the class, hadn't turned in his monthly fitness log (a simple form detailing any physical activity performed after school). He told me he didn't need to turn one in because he hadn't done anything fitness wise all month. Evidently this is a pattern for Gaedan. I told him how when I was a kid me and my friends literally spent every day, rain or shine, outside either biking around town or starting a pickup game of baseball or staying afterschool to play kickball, etc... This drove my folks nuts because I could have been in any number of places or friends backyards. I asked Gaedan what he usually does after school. I was shocked to hear that he gets home and raids the pantry for snacks and soda before he plops himself down infront of the Xbox to resume his marathon of videogaming. When he gets bored with that he watches any number of drama teen series on MTV for a couple of hours. If he should possibly get bored watching that he goes and talks to his friends with his instant messenger on his computer. Taken back by his response I asked him how his parents would think if they knew he acted this way while they were gone. He chuckled and informed me that his parents prefer him staying home and becoming the next Michelen Man model because they wouldnt want to worry about him getting into trouble. WHAT! I understand the world changes and parents can be concerned about certain places being rougher than others. But people, when will your kids learn for themselves? Growing up in the heart of St. Louis, me and my friends learned numerous life lessons we wouldn't have picked up had we not been tearin' up the town. For instance, I happen to be the unfortunate one to shatter a window in a pickup game of baseball. What happened? The wicked old lady came out saw me then called my dad. I could have lied to my dad and told him the lady broke it flying out of her house on her broom, or cried so he wouldnt take it out of my allowance later, but I didn't. Since I told my dad the truth about what had happened he let the embarassment teach me a lesson, along with some of my allowance to cover the window. But the most important part was he kept me there while he replaced the window. Not only did he teach me important carpetry skills, but the importance of honesty and taking responsibility for one's actions. After that I developed what most kids lack now a days, a conscience. Thanks to Gaedan I now see that individual motivation isn't going to be enough to get this couch-potato generation moving. It has to come from those closest to them so let kids be kids and quit protecting them from important lessons they must learn. Otherwise they will continue to lack respect for authority and plan their actions strictly around their benefits.

No comments: